Friday 12 October 2012

The Oldest Person I Know

 My Grandfather

         The oldest person I know personally is my grandfather on my mother's side. My grandfather lives in an apartment with one of my uncles in Kaoxiong, Taiwan. Right now, he is around 90 years old, and is the only living grandparent I have. The first time I met him that I can remember was when I was around four years old. My mother put me on his lap and let him play with me. At that time, his hair hasn't completely turned white and there wasn't as many wrinkles on his face. However, he still has the same warm, kind and loving look in his eyes as today. I also remember not understanding what he said because he has an accent on his mandarin.

         My grandfather used to be a soldier from China, but because of the Chinese Revolution, he was forced to move here. Because of this, he lives a very organized and orderly life. Even though he walks with a humped back, he continues to maintain a daily routine of going out to walk every morning. He also follows many Chinese customs, like how he wants everyone in the family to be present at mealtimes, even if you're not hungry. When I think of my grandfather, I always remember the delicious smells of New Year's dinner. Dumplings, delicious fresh veggies, and savory meats and Taiwanese sausages are always present. He also connotes the brilliant and vibrant sparks that explodes from the firecrackers we light on New Year's Eve.
   
         Although there isn't much to talk about between my grandfather and I, but family is family, so I know he loves me and he knows that I love him. There wasn't a lot of time to be with him when I was younger because my dad's work caused us to move around a lot. This is even truer now, because we live half-way around the world from each other. I wish, no, I know that he will stay healthy and I wish him the best in the rest of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment